dimanche 8 avril 2012

's7i7 walé' [True or Not']

'S7i7 Wale is a group based on two young Tunisian artists (Mehdi Elhamdi and Abdelhaq Cherni) which integrates several styles of music.

Hassen Zouitten:Photographer

Mehdi Elhamdi

Abdelhaq Cherni(KIKO)





.Abdulhaq Cherni, also known as Kiko plays an improvised version of 'Ocean' by John Butler. He says that this song represents the time of change in his life, and in this way relates it to the revolution. Has the revolution 'changed' Tunisia? A lot of questions still remain unanswered, yet on a hilltop overlooking a beautiful valley outside of Kef, it's certainly possible to forget the worries that accompany the new Tunisia.



Mehdi el Hamdi is a great wordsmith. He writes powerful lyrics in Arabic. He just learnt to play the guitar, which has opened up a whole new world for him. He says to me, "when I write songs, I give the listener one chance, then another, and if he still doesn't get it, I use the most direct language I can find". Mehdi's song 'Zafzeferih', which means in English 'When the Wind Blows' simply states: "I just want to be free.. in my country..". He has formed a band with Kiko called 'Shih Wele' which means 'True or Not'. (English subtitles)